Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Cyanotype experiments continue

Having recently discovered two bins full of denim squares left from my mothers quilting, I decided to try cyanotype on some of them. Eventually to sew a bunch of these together in a blanket/quilt.

Having also discovered several boxes of Lace, I was thinking of seeing what it might look like on the denim. I coated the fabric with the cyanotype chemicals and placed the lace on top. Sandwiching it between two layers of glass that I clamped together and put in the sun for several hours.

Once baked the white denim below pre coating on left, and on right the finished cyanotype.


And the cyanotype with embroidery to change the appearance and add some detail. 
I found that the more fine the lace, the better detail, and the longer I expose to the sun the sharper image. This is another denim square with a vintage lace image.


 This is the same lace used on a piece of 5 x 7 watercolor postcard not coated entirely. A very different look.  The fabric due to its makeup requires it to be soaked in the solution, whereas the paper just needs to be coated with a brush and takes less chemicals to produce an image.


No comments:

Post a Comment