Monday, May 19, 2014

Workshop with Leiko in New York

This past weekend, I was in Rensselaerville, New York for a Northeast Feltmakers Guild Workshop with Leiko ( http://leikofelt.com/) . Sharon Costello (http://www.blacksheepdesigns.com/) hosted us at her wonderful studio.  I drove up on Friday morning in an attempt to miss the worst part of a huge heavy rainstorm that was moving in. I was able to miss most of the storm on the road but it was starting to rain a little when I got there so I went directly to the Hyuck Preserve (https://www.huyckpreserve.org/ ) to see the waterfall.




Saturday morning the others arrived and we started making samples with Leiko.
My first sample was learning the pine needle technique. I started with a 10 x 10 inch square and it was reduced by half when done. 


Then on to my favorite one, of which I would like to make in a larger piece, but it is time consuming.





The final sample was in preparation for the large piece to make Sunday. I chose to do rectangles.

Then we had dinner and went Contra dancing which was very fun and funny since none of us knew what we were doing. 
A few of us staying at the studio loft headed back to the studio to start working on our big piece.  I wanted to leave earlier the next day to get home so really wanted to get a head start to try to get it done. 
I got quite a bit done Saturday night and woke up at 6 to start working on it again on Sunday.
And I did finish the piece before I had to leave. 
I thought Leiko was a great teacher, she explained things in great detail and was always available to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment