Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Felt Boot Workshop

In October I took a workshop with Jennifer Hoag at Northeast fiber arts in Vermont. It is an online class in which she did videos for each step. The videos were well done, and after a few initial problems accessing them she got everything straightened out. The handouts were well done and helpful.

I purchased some C-1 in espresso brown from New England Felting Supply, and ordered my soles from Simple Shoemaking.( I am including links in case anyone wants to know where my supplies came from, and where I took the class.)  Following the instructions I created the resist using underlayment, which is easy to feel and to cut. This time I remembered to scrub off the red ink that comes on it, so it did not get into the felt.

After laying out the wool on one side, wetting it down and flipping, laying out the second side, I started to felt.  Two boots are done using the one resist and are connected at the sole. The Marker indicated the bottom of the boots.

Once they were felted hard enough, I cut them along the sole so I have two boots.  Then started to seriously felt them. This picture is one boot laying on top of the resist folded in half.   Big enough for the jolly green giant but my feet are not THAT big.  So I continued to felt. Below you can see the progression. You can see I have a long way to go before I get them to the size I need them to be.


I will be embellishing these boots once they are down to size.  I just need to keep working at that shrinking part.  I did make a sample prior to making the boots, so I know it will shrink. It's just going to take some work. 

2 comments:

  1. Very ambitious Linda. Glad to hear your review about the video class. Remember C1 wants lots of soap and try other soaps too if you are having trouble keeping it wet. I can't wait to see them finished. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Thanks for the advice. I have not used C1 before so did not know that. I can't wait to wear them.

      Delete