Monday, November 7, 2011

Felting with Heather

To make a long story short, I had to go to Michigan this fall to find a woman who lives close to me that I could felt with. I was very lucky to meet Heather Woollove. She is a really wonderful person who has great insight and is fun to felt with.

Although I was supposed to be at the Northeast Feltmakers guild meeting this weekend I was unable to attend.  As it turns out a very dear friend, Bryan, passed away suddenly and I was at his funeral on Saturday. On Sunday I had a felting date with Heather.

I arrived at her house to the smell of blueberry muffins and coffee and we chatted for a bit. I got to see more of her wonderful felt.  And the muffins were awesome, I might add.  Then it was felting time. I had seen and heard her talk of her peanut purses and I wanted to make one. I am not a purse maker normally, although I may take it up now. 

She had her studio set up already to go I just needed to add wool.  I have never been happy using a resist and seeing the results, but learning Heather's technique has changed my outlook.  I used a gray merino on the inside and a black merino on the outside with a silk design on the front.  My merino felted up nicely and I learned how Heather stuffs her bags to dry.  I took out the stuffing this morning to take a few pictures.
I still need to do the inside pocket and add a closure to the flap. But I cannot wait to use this  bag.
At the end of the play date, we traded wool and silk and flax with each other and I went home.


Thanks Heather!!.  We have to set up another felt date, perhaps at my house this time.

2 comments:

  1. It's always so much fun to spend time with you, Linda, and I'm looking forward to our next 'day of felting fun'!!
    (BTW-Your bag dried just beautifully!)
    XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather is a gorgeous felter. I've been following her blog. She's open and teaches us lots of tricks. You're lucky to have learnt from her. I do hope the chance. Your bag is awesome. Love the color and the "brush" of silk.

    ReplyDelete